Preparation for my 2019 Sydney trip

The idea of travelling to Sydney on holiday first came up as an idea, back in 2015 while I was on holiday in Toowoomba with Angela and Tegan. We began looking at the costs that would be associated with two different options. Option one was to fly to Sydney and then hire a disabled accessible car. Option two was to drive to Sydney. (Which, in the end was the better option).

However, many things had changed in the time between inital discussion and actually getting everything organised. 

I then had to make the decision of who would accompany me to Sydney. (The staff that were originally going to be coming with me, unfortunately no longer work with me).
Originally I believed it would be Julia and Angela, but Angela was not able to accompany me, due to having been travelling around the world for a few months! So the two people I had with me on my trip were Julia and Karen (as stated in my main Sydney blog post).

Tegan sat down and mapped out all of our travel on google maps and we searched through accommodation websites to try and find places that were close by. The itinerary helped greatly with this, so we had everything planned out perfectly. There were a few changes made along the way, due to accommodation not being available etc.

There is so much more planning that goes in to a holiday for myself, compared to someone who is able-bodied. I don't have the option to stay at any hotel I like, I have to search specifically for wheelchair accessible hotels, which can often be hard to come by.

Karen kindly assisted in ensuring that the meet and greets I participated in went ahead.
We managed to lock in that I would get to meet Dr. Lisa Chimes, and were offered a possibility of getting to meet Dr. Andrew Marchevsky (it was all dependent on his schedule and how busy he was on the day we visited).
Thankfully, I got to meet both of them!

We also attempted to organise meet and greets with the Bondi Rescue lifeguards, but had no success.
 
 A holiday this size takes a lot of planning, and input from multiple people. At the time of travelling to Sydney, it had been 8 years and 3 months since I had last travelled to Sydney. 3 years of this time, was spent trying to organise everything to get me back down there.

My last holiday to Sydney was completely different to this on, as my cousin Tyler was living there at the time and attending NIDA (National Institute of Dramatic Arts). I was there for 4 days and accompanied by my Auntie Liz. Unfortunately, Tyler no longer lives in Sydney, so I was unable to stay with him for a period of time to reduce accommodation costs.

Another major difference is the funding I have now, it is entirely different to what I had back in 2011, giving me the opportunity to take my carers with me.

I hope you have enjoyed this short post!

Stephanie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guiding light of Angela's voice

I finally got to Sydney! (Details of my trip)