Living with a disability Part 31 - Facilitating carer management for a person with a physical disability

 In recent times this has been a very hard thing to do. Naturally, because my team is now so large, it is tough to juggle people's uni schedules around my rosters because I usually have to fit in with people's uni schedules instead of fitting in with my roster. I currently have 15 members of staff on a fortnightly rotating roster, and having to accommodate so many different people can be very draining; believe me, I don't do it because I want to; I do it because I have to otherwise, I wouldn't be able to live normally without assistance. Another thing with having a physical disability and managing such a big team is that you always feel like YOUR constantly on call, and what I mean by this is people can call in sick at any given moment. You'd have to be willing to coordinate replacements; believe me, this is not my favourite thing to do. It is actually very draining, especially in the early hours of the morning when you're trying to sleep, I can't tell you how many times I've had to organise someone to come in at 7 before 6 o'clock in the morning, and then there are times when you have the opposite effect where people will call in sick. Still, you won't have enough time to cover, so it goes into the time when someone would be on shift, and you would have to find someone to cover. For example, I'll take this afternoon as a page in a book you can hopefully learn from. 

So, my day started out relatively okay, and then as the day went on, I had to go to Robina Private Hospital to support my mum with her mother's dementia. After such time, I and my carer Hope got home later than usual only to find that my oncoming carer Andre had a problem with his car, which is why he was running late to get to work. Still, I hadn't heard anything from him before his original start time, so I worried he wouldn't come. But thankfully, he got here relatively quickly within the first hour of his shift which we were both very grateful for. Still, the example above is just 1 example of something that can happen at a moment's notice when you're trying to facilitate the management of a person with a physical disability.

Thank you,

Stephanie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guiding light of Angela's voice

I finally got to Sydney! (Details of my trip)

Preparation for my 2019 Sydney trip