Aspects of living with a disability part 20 - Treat people the way you want to be treated

 For this our main point here is; to include us, even in the most minimal way, because it could lift our moods dramatically. Another thing here is; to listen, take the time to listen. Now with a disabled person, this could be a prolonged amount of time but you might just get a very intelligent conversation out of us if you give us the time to express ourselves. So for example, with me a full conversation, depending on what you talk about, could take 2 and a half to 3 hours because I do like to be very descriptive and elaborative in my answers to people. Another big thing here is, if we are in the middle of a conversation or trying to tell you something, don't walk away because it leads to miscommunication between parties and then both sides of the party end up in a bad mood because your not getting along. Give us respect to elaborate on things, give us the chance to educate you, it doesn't have to be on one of our particular subjects but we could take the time to take a look at some of the things that you like. And I think that's where there are a lot of uneasy ends at the moment because this is how I feel, sometimes I feel like I spend more time on other people's subjects at the moment than I do my own, but do you see me complaining? no, I try to see the light in it. I try to allow other people to expose me to parts of their world that I normally wouldn't have any involvement in.

Thank you,

Stephanie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guiding light of Angela's voice

I finally got to Sydney! (Details of my trip)

Preparation for my 2019 Sydney trip