In preparation for Caloundra (2017)

Preparation Began
- Preparation for this holiday started in late January early February of this year, when a friend of mine named Angela came over one afternoon to try and figure out what dates would fit in with her and my other carers we then came to the conclusion that the month of May would be the most suitable month, for everyone involved.

Booking the Hotel 
- The initial research for a hotel took place while my my mum was away on holiday at the end February. After refining my search down to 3 different hotels,the final decision was Breakfree Grand Pacific Caloundra! This hotel was the winner because it has all of the appropriate equipment needed to make my life easier, (More to come on my hotel experience in my next blog after my holiday.)

Choosing a Carer
- Next thing to check off the list was choosing a carer. When it comes to choosing my carer, it can sometimes be somewhat difficult depending on the location, but other times, such as this one, have been straight to the point, because my carers will usually give me their opinion/answer the first time I ask them. For instance, in this situation, after asking Angela, who happily volunteered her time as a friend, I asked Tegan and and she was more than willing to go, but said that I should offered the opportunity to either Irene or Kerry first, as they had not yet had a chance to accompany me on a holiday, before resorting to her. So I proceeded, by offering the opportunity to Irene and she gladly accepted.

Organising Australia Zoo!
- Once I had sorted my carers out, I moved on too planning my outing to Australia Zoo.
On the day that I began research on my outing to Australia Zoo, my other carer who goes by the name of Kerry, was playing to role of my scribe/co-researcher. Initially, I rang Australia Zoo, only to book tickets that would allow me entry into the zoo, instead of the organisational effort it ended up turning into, because I ended up booking animal encounters, rather than just admission to the zoo, of which Kerry and I ended up finding out that only 4 of a possible 25 encounters are disabled accessible and wheelchair friendly. So after a second phone call on that same day, to organise tickets, it was determined that some organisation was going to have to take place at the zoo before I got there for the encounters, such as putting the encounters on straight after one another instead of their advertised times throughout the day. It was also at this point that it was determined that my car was going to have to be involved. After 2 emails and $320 later, my encounters with a Rhino and Lemurs were booked!

I'll have more details and insight into how everything unfolded over my holiday when I return!

Until next time

- Stephanie :)

         

     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guiding light of Angela's voice

I finally got to Sydney! (Details of my trip)

Preparation for my 2019 Sydney trip