Aspects of living with a disability part 9; How to appropriately approach a intellectually disabled person.

 One of my best lots of advice is to make sure that the person always has a carer. Because in my personal experience, I haven't had much luck interacting with disabled people. I have found myself in some very complicated situations where intellectually disabled people will approach me and want to spend time with me. Still, unfortunately, they want to play with my chain, putting them in harm's way. So this is why now I more commonly avoid interacting with intellectually disabled people. But this does mean I should avoid it if I want to gain exposure. But it is just that this exposure moving forward will have to be consistently monitored so that I do not end up in difficult positions again.  Being a person with a physical disability myself, I always try to be very respectful of other people with a disability, even though I don't always have interactions with them because I don't know how their day has been. Probably the most common place I have interactions with people who have this variety of disabilities is at APRADA, which I will link below. 

Home - Arundel Park Riding for Disabled Inc. (arundelparkrda.com.au)

(11) Arundel Park Riding for Disabled Inc. | Facebook

And with that, for now, I will leave you and move on to my next blog.

Thanks!

Stephanie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guiding light of Angela's voice

I finally got to Sydney! (Details of my trip)

Preparation for my 2019 Sydney trip