Aspects of living with a disability part 7; Younger children with disabilities growing up through mainstream school.

 My main piece of advice here is to not treat them differently. Treat them the same as you would an able body person. Approach them, ask them questions in a kind manner, do not make assumptions, do not stare and do not do things that would make them feel like they are different. Now is the time when you should encourage kids in a respectful manner to involve kids with disability in things. Using myself as an example, I am now 28, but when I was going through primary school, inclusion was a big thing. You would go out to playgrounds and be included in games like skipping, handball and you name it. I have tried everything within reason. And although it might seem that we are not doing much, the power of observation can be a great teacher. Due to obviously having a physical disability, there were some things that were out of bounds. My advice to you here is to don't do things that you think you should in relation to having a physical disability because you could end up breaking your chair from being reckless. And I would have to leave it there.

I look forward to you reading my next blog. 

Many thanks,

Stephanie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guiding light of Angela's voice

I finally got to Sydney! (Details of my trip)

Preparation for my 2019 Sydney trip