Aspects of living with a disability part 14 - OT appointments, through the eyes of a physically disabled person

 First of all, I apologise if this blog isn't up to my usual elaborative standard, as I am not mentally having the best night.

OT appointments through the eyes of a physically disabled person. 

As an example, I always hated OT appointments growing up because they were always associated with taking away a particular part of my independence. Now, I will admit. Lately, I have been very slack with my exercise, and naturally, for a physically disabled person, this is not the optimal state you want to find yourself in. Why? Well, there are a few reasons. One, because as you get a=older, it gets harder to motivate yourself. Two, because if you are not the one who puts in the hard yards, no one else will do it for you at the end of the day. And then, OT appointments are required to assess different ways of doing things. Whether through mechanical equipment or manual handling is up to the OT and the individual situation. Unfortunately for me, over the years, I have gone from primarily manual transfer to now using 90% of the time using a mechanical lifter.

Do I agree with this? Well, no, I don't for a couple of reasons. Because it hinges on my self-confidence and my independence in doing manual transfers out in the community or at other people's places. But, in this sense, I only have myself to blame because I do not do the exercise, which means I put on weight, which makes the mechanical lifter need to be used more often. But also can come down to the individual OT''s perception of your individual situation. So do not take the example that I have used f myself and use it for yourself because this may not happen. Although in my experience with OT appointments, my memories of them haven't been very positive, as I have said in my previous blogs, these people play an essential part in the community. They should not be put by the wayside. And the funny thing is now I actually have people in my caring team that are training in these fields. So over time, it has changed my perception of them in a positive way. 

I can't say for everybody in this following example, but I will try to speak from experience here.  Depending on the nature of the OT appointment, they can be very drawn out. For me, it is the majority of the time.  But you may also remember this from a blog I recently posted as per the previous extract mentioned above. Once again, these people do come from various backgrounds. It is always good to have an idea in your head as to how you may want it to go. But, don't be irritable if it does not exactly the way you like. Although I speak from experience here, when I say after they leave, you can be as upset as you want to be. Whatever you do, do not do it in front of them because it does not end up in a good look on your behalf. But if it does become too hard to bare, best to let them know how you feel about the situation.

I think that is all I can put here. 

Thanks,

Stephanie :)   

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guiding light of Angela's voice

I finally got to Sydney! (Details of my trip)

Preparation for my 2019 Sydney trip