Aspects of living with a disability part 10; How not to approach a physically disabled person.

 The number one tip here is, don't stare at us. 

Number two, if you are curious, ask questions. We preferred to be asked questions and not answer than stared at.

Number 3, do not assume that we are dumb. If you give us the time, we might be quite intelligent on certain subjects. For example, my subjects would be anything to do with human or veterinary medicine. Aside from story writing and various other individual topics. Although in saying this, lately for myself, I have been very slack when it comes to veterinary medicine. I have a lot more study to do!

Number 4. Do not point out what is different. As some people may find this embarrassing and/or nerve-wracking. Personally, when I was growing up, I made the choice of what information to disclose. So in saying this, I didn't always find it unnerving to do so. But as I grew older, it got easier to know what to explain and what to avoid saying to people. 

And point number 5, is that there are some people you can elaborate a bit more with, and some you can't. So it is about you identifying who you avoid giving as much information to because there are some people, in my experience, who would use this information to tease you and take advantage of you, and there will be some people who will use the information for the right reasons. 

My final point, number 6, is to know your allies. And/or the people you want to surround yourself with and the ones you don't. Once again, this is not something that will happen overnight. It takes time to build up this experience. And with this experience that you gain over time, you will hopefully know the right people you know to associate yourself with. 

Until next time!!

Thanks,

Stephanie :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guiding light of Angela's voice

I finally got to Sydney! (Details of my trip)

Preparation for my 2019 Sydney trip