Aspects of living with a disability part 12; My difficulties in interacting with a person that has an intellectual disability.

 Although I touched on this briefly in a blog that I published earlier this evening, I will now try to go into this in more detail. 

So what I meant earlier by me having contradicting interactions with intellectually disabled people, more often than not, what will happen is them playing with my control and making my wheelchair go forward and put them and me in harm's way. But so far, this hasn't happened. And prevention is better than cure. 

So the easiest way to avoid this, you ask? Well....turn off all power from the wheelchair. This includes taking out all power cords. But in cases where this isn't possible, I have unfortunately had people that had tried to run me forward inside a taxi. I've had people unintentionally try to flip me or make me fall sideways in a cab. I've had people come up to me in social outings and unintentionally try to run me into walls. 

As you can imagine, being the one in the wheelchair when something like this happens can be frightening because you do not always have control of the situation. So my advice here is if you do not feel safe, just politely go around them so that you can wave hello, not to be rude and completely ignore them. 

And until next time.

Thanks, 

Stephanie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guiding light of Angela's voice

I finally got to Sydney! (Details of my trip)

Preparation for my 2019 Sydney trip